The CORE, Calgary’s only downtown shopping centre, offers over 566,000 sq ft of premier retail shopping and is comprised of the Calgary Eaton Centre, TD Square and 516-8th Avenue. The CORE Shopping Centre is proud to have been awarded a LEED Gold for Commercial Interiors (CI) certification, making it the first Regional Shopping Centre in the province of Alberta to attain a LEED CI Gold accreditation from the Canadian Green Building Council (CaGBC). This certification comes after an extensive renovation; which ultimately saw all common areas being recognized as LEED CI Certified in 2014. The CORE has embarked on attaining a LEED for Existing Building (EBOM) designation for the CORE portfolio. The project is currently registered under LEED EB (O+M)-2009, which will potentially see the complex, inclusive of approximately 1,400,000 sq ft of office towers, attain a LEED EBOM Gold certification.
- TAG environmental monitoring system, which enables the centre to achieve 100% in BOMA’s environmental scoring.
- New skylights allow natural light throughout the centre and an automated, energy efficient LED lighting system allows for daylight harvesting.
- 3,017 Green Wall consisting of nearly 40,000 philodendron plants. The plants' natural filtering system provides shoppers with as much clean air as 30 14-foot trees.
- State of the art cast iron sectional boilers which boast high-efficiency performance, resulting in reduced utility consumption.
- State of the art cooling tower installations, completed in 2014, have lead to decreased water consumption.
- Purchase of 15,047 MWh’s of Renewable Energy Credits, which supports clean, renewable energy.
- Enhanced building Retro-Commissioning to take place in late 2015. Site to identify both operational and capital measures to further boost the site’s overall performance.
- BOMA BEST level 3, 2012
- BOMA BEST Certificate of Excellence Award (Renovated Shopping Centre), 2012
- LEED CI Gold Certification (1st Regional Shopping Centre in AB), 2014
- LEED EB (O+M) application for certification submitted in 2014